Monday 25 August 2008

Book Review:Husseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns


After reading the "Kite Runner" by Khaled Husseini, I purchased his new novel thinking the same can not be achieved again. I was thinking that Hosseini cant possibly write any better then he has in the superb "Kite Runner"; and for him as a writer it is all downhill from here.How wrong I was proved to be." A Thousand Splendid Suns " was truly a heartwarming and thought provoking read.I knew after the first chapter that Hosseini is not a one off author but a natural storyteller of the highest calibre.

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" is really two stories that are entwined majestically together.It is about the lives of two extraordinary women Mariam and Laila. They both come from two complete different backgrounds, one extremely well educated and well off. While the other ill educated and extremely destitute. The book is about how these two characters both come together through extraordinary circumstances like the emergence of the Taliban state ,civil war, sudden death , starvation and love. Although they start originally as foes they come together and compromise their differences in order to survive and fulfill their dreams.This book is very moving and will make you cry, it will make you cherish your friendships and the luxuries you have. It shows how love, friendship and hope can lead people to overcome the most daunting of obstacles with their endurance to achive their objectives. I have not wrote a book review on the book for the simple reason, which is because I want you to read the novel. I thought if I write a book review I will do injustice to the epic that is "A Thousand Splendid Suns"

No comments: