While browsing the internet I came across a job advertisement for the grand mosque is Istanbul. Below is an official a advert for the position of Imam of the Grand Mosque in Istanbul at the time of Sultan Suleyman who ruled the Ottoman Empire from 1520 – 1566.
- To have mastered the languages of Arabic, Latin, Turkish and Persian.
- To have mastered the Qur’an, the bible and the torah.
- To be a scholar in Shari’ah and Fiqh.
- To have mastered physics and mathematics up to teaching standard.
- To be a master of chivalry, archery, duelling and the arts of Jihad.
- To be of a handsome countenance.
- To have a strong melodious voice.